Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shep's First Day of School



We are embarking upon a new stage in life, school!  We are starting simple and small.  I am doing a home preschool with Shep and two other boys and their moms.  It's working out great. The moms take turns teaching so it works out that I teach about one week a month.   

We decided that all the moms would attend the first day to help the kids get used to it.  It was kind of a nightmare.  They were all very distraught that we were making them sit and listen instead of letting them go about their usual ways and play with toys.  Shep was really good for about ten minutes then he just stood up and stated "I'm done.", and started walking off, like it was that simple.  Since then, things have really improved.   The boys are hilarious, and are total boys.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is their first ever school experience and just to have fun with it.  I have to remind myself of this as I am talking about the letter of the day, and the boys are fixated on saying "poop" and laughing their brains out.   "Focus...Focus."

On the first day I taught I was teaching about our bodies. 

Me: "Neal, what's a part of your body?"
Neal: "MY NOSE"-Neal is very exuberant and everything is a cheer, he said this with gusto and he jumped up and down, waving a fist in the air.  
Me: "Ephraim, what's a part of your body?"
Ephraim: (think James Earl Jones, this kid has the deepest voice you've ever heard a 3 year old have) "My Eyes."
Me: "Shep, how about you?"
Shep: "My tiger!"  Then he planted his two feet and swung one arm across his chest...this is my own child and he is a total mystery to me????

Closing Circle-
Me: "What did we learn about today?"
Neal:  He looks up at me with the sweetest face and simply says "Jesus."
This kid's smart, he has learned that you can never go wrong with that answer.  

I am looking forward to my many adventures with this rowdy bunch of boys, they have a way of making me laugh.  

1 comment:

Susie said...

Karri, I love this post! It captures so beautifully what it means to be a parent with a good sense of humor! Way to enjoy your sweet little boys!