Monday, May 4, 2009

His Vacation

The Famous Saigon Sandwiches, found in Little Saigon. We walked through some pretty shady parts of town to get this sandwich. It is the perfect blend of vietnamese and american. Chicken or Pork with cilantro, carrots, jalepenos, and a yummy sauce on a crusty white bread bun. MMMM.

The Farmer's Market at Embaradero on the pier on Saturday morning. We sampled all sorts of overpriced, organic goodies at this charming market. Who pays $7 for a dozen eggs...crazy. Small farmers have a nice set up there. They farm in Sonoma and keep their operations small and organic (which is costly) and they have the clientele for it in San Francisco and the surrounding cities. We got some yummy cheese curds, and some to-die-for almonds.

I fell in love with Little Italy, known as North Beach. It is the craziest thing, we walked through China Town and literally everyone on the street we were on was Chinese (we were walking their market, with the likes of dried squid and dried armidillo) and then we went up one street and no joke everyone was Italian. China Town and North Beach are right next to each other. I felt like I had just traveled the world and I only we a few blocks. As we strolled through North Beach we found a pastry shop, we got quite a few goodies and feel in love with the Almond cookies. I loved little Italy so much I made Aram take me back there for a nice dinner on our last night. You can't beat Italian made by Italians and served by Italians.

Aram found out that a must eat in San Fran is Dim Sum. Dim Sum is a chinese "snack", it is dumplings served with a variety of things in the middle. It's not just the food you must have, but the Dim Sum experience. We went to Golden Mountain in China Town. This restaurant was huge, full of round tables, bursting at the seams with Chinese people. We were a little out of place. But, that's how we wanted it...an authentic experience. Servers are swarming the room rolling around silver carts with trays of dim sum. They come to your table and ask if you want what they have. Many of the servers didn't speak english so we got a few gross ones, but overall Dim Sum was Yum. I recommend pork buns, anything with shrimp and crab, and the mango pudding.

2 comments:

Travis and Kamala Sloan said...

This is how food is supposed to be. I miss my wonderful state so much. I am glad you guys enjoyed your stay. Some of my fondest memories are of good ole' San Fran.

Susie said...

Most impressive part? You both were eating with chopsticks. I can't get Tim to use them for the life of me - and I cook Chinese several times a month.
Glad you had fun - it sounded lovely.