Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roman Holiday

 Ok, Rome is the coolest city ever.  Now that my vote is in, let me explain why.  There are layers and layers of history everywhere you turn.  On our first bus ride through Rome I was in complete shock, "Wow, what's that?"  "Oh my, look at that ruin."  "Holy cow are those apartments built into a roman colum?"  The Romans pretty much rules half the world from 200 BC to 400 AD (don't fact check me), and then it became the center of the church from then until now, and it was a central figure in the Renaissance.  So pretty much every where you look there is something totally amazing, old or beautiful.  I LOVE Rome!!!
       At the Roman Forum.  Notice what's in Aram's left hand, that's right Rick Steves guided us step by step. 

 Another Gelato.  In front of the Collesseum.  What happened there is both totally grotesque and disgusting, but you can't help be in total and and admiration of the structure.  I felt like I was at Lavell Edwards Stadium, subtract 2000 years.  It's amazing what the Romans accomplished archeticurally. 
 Our tourguide for the Vatican.  We got suckered into a guided tour, happy we did it though because the Vatican is totally overwhelming the amount of art that is collected there is just wow. 
 Some of my Favorites. 


 Ok, don't be disgusted with us.  But, we were really craving a burger.  We went to the biggest McDonalds in the world, right in the heart of Rome.  And, yes it hit the spot.  I'm not ashamed I love me some double cheese!
                                                                 A little romance and the Trevi Fountain. 
 Yep, we have insured our fate to return to Rome by tossing in a coin into the Trevi Fountain. 
 Best ambiance ever: Eating pizza and pasta with candellight, with a street performer serandaing us in front of the Pantheon.  Priceless!

 This ginormous building has no function, it is simply a monument to celebrate Italy's unification.  The don't do anything half-ass in Rome.  Pardon my french. 

                                                                On the road again....train ride to Florence. 

1 comment:

RasmussenFamily said...

great pics once again... love the pantheon pic. way cool to be eating dinner in that historic square. I love rome so much too... i was awed by it for sure.